[Debian-olpc-devel] How _should_ we import new changes into git?

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Thu Jan 15 22:21:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

(I have quite a lot of backlog in various fields, so I just briefly comment on
one aspect here. I plan to comment and do more...)

On Dienstag, 13. Januar 2009, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> My current plan is to move from the current undocumented Git packaging
> to using topgit. Topgit is driven by similar packaging ideals as I have
> had with the current one, and has the great benefit of being documented
> and potentially will become more sidely used within Debian due to active
> promotion by its author Martin Krafft, a generally aknowledged Debian
> developer.

I think that's a great plan, thanks!

And even though I agree that the current packaging is not easy for newcomers,
I have to say that I found README.packaging to be very well written and
working nicely! :)

But more documentation and a standardized workflow is definitly even better!

I assume this is post-lenny stuff, which shouldn't be that far anyway.
Speaking of which, bugfixes can still make it into lenny, especially if bugs
are filed and if the diff to the version in testing is reasonable and
reviewable - whether it's called "new upstream" is not that important, it's
the diff really :)

Which reminds me of
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-olpc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
- afaik sugar, sugar-base and sugar-hulahop should really migrate to lenny,
while for the rest its not critical, right?

(This mail got longer than I thought :)

regards,
	Holger, guess I will read the rest of the mails in this folder now too ;)