[Debian-olpc-devel] measure activity on debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon May 11 08:14:49 UTC 2009

Hi Kristian Paul,

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 10:13:32PM -0500, kristian paul peñaranda rojas
wrote:
>actually i'm working on modifying a Measure sugar activiy to be able to
>work with an external multi purpuse board called pinguino [1], all my
>test had been made on debian, so i want to keep working this way

Sounds interesting!

Have you considered working together with the authors of Measure to
integrate your changes there instead of forking?

>SoaS is the main encoraged method for sugar use, as i know, so i like
>make a SoaS based on debian, have u tried this? how stable is debian on
>sugar for that task?

SoaS is a distribution in its own right.  It is based on Fedora.

It does make sense to make a "SoaDS", but that would be a _different_
distribution, so it won't change the fact that the main upstream
environment is SoaS.  The SoaS based on Fedora.

Debian itself is stable, possible more so than Fedora - I really don't
know as I have never used Fedora.  But Debian does not yet contain the
full Sugar environment, and the parts provided is not currently
up-to-date.

>*may be how is on the Ubuntu side? if there is Ubuntu people in this
>list

Yes, I believe at least 2 Ubuntu Sugar developers are on this list too
(I am not one of them).

Ubuntu currently package Sugar independently from Debian, so the amount
available and the quality of it should be judged separately.

Please discuss Ubuntu-specific stuff at the Ubuntu Sugar list.

>other point is about the developing enviorment for work with measure
>activity on gnome. it this posible? how?

There has been discussion upstream on how to generally make Sugar
activities also run in non-Sugar environments.

Best place to discuss that is probably the upstream Sugar-devel list.

Hope that helps,

  - Jonas

- --