[Debian-olpc-devel] measure activity on debian

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:39:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> Hi Kristian Paul,
>
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 10:13:32PM -0500, kristian paul peñaranda rojas
> wrote:
>>actually i'm working on modifying a Measure sugar activiy to be able to
>>work with an external multi purpuse board called pinguino [1],

+1

>>all my
>>test had been made on debian, so i want to keep working this way

Quite some time ago I wrote a market study called Personal Instruments
about the vast range of possibilities for learning and for
applications of instruments connected to or integrated inside
computers. The possibilities are much greater now, and those of us
working on Free Digital Textbooks are thinking about how to integrate
some of them into the science and music curriculum. In the published
study I discussed, among other things, the variety of data acquisition
and instrument products available and the variety of hardware and
software interfaces used.

In hardware on the XO, we may have to address

o Sound port, as currently in Measure

o USB

o GPIB conversion

o serial port conversion

Since Sugar runs on other hardware, we will run into the full range of
issues for data acquisition interfaces.

In software we may have to address

o Python with SciPy

o Smalltalk

o data conversion

In both areas, other cases will arise. There will also be a demand for
multi-channel capability in Measure.

> Sounds interesting!
>
> Have you considered working together with the authors of Measure to
> integrate your changes there instead of forking?

+1

>>SoaS is the main encouraged method for sugar use, as i know, so i like
>>make a SoaS based on debian, have u tried this? how stable is debian on
>>sugar for that task?

I have used the tools for creating SoaS with Ubuntu. Presumably it can
be done with Debian, but I do not have details. Debian isn't mentioned
on http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Linux

Compiling in sugar-jhbuild for Debian or Ubuntu still has issues. The
results are not always usable. I have tried that, and qemu, and have
shifted to running images of Sugar on Fedora within VirtualBox OSE.
Whether you can link your external board to that is beyond my
competence. I would ask on the VirtualBox forums, mailing list, or IRC
channel.

> SoaS is a distribution in its own right.  It is based on Fedora.
>
> It does make sense to make a "SoaDS", but that would be a _different_
> distribution, so it won't change the fact that the main upstream
> environment is SoaS.  The SoaS based on Fedora.
>
> Debian itself is stable, possible more so than Fedora - I really don't
> know as I have never used Fedora.  But Debian does not yet contain the
> full Sugar environment, and the parts provided is not currently
> up-to-date.
>

>>*may be how is on the Ubuntu side? if there is Ubuntu people in this
>>list
>
> Yes, I believe at least 2 Ubuntu Sugar developers are on this list too
> (I am not one of them).

I use Ubuntu.

> Ubuntu currently package Sugar independently from Debian, so the amount
> available and the quality of it should be judged separately.

Sugar on Ubuntu 9.04 is currently broken. I don't know about the
Debian packages, but it's time I got a Debian image running.

> Please discuss Ubuntu-specific stuff at the Ubuntu Sugar list.
>

>>other point is about the developing enviorment for work with measure
>>activity on gnome. it this posible? how?
>
> There has been discussion upstream on how to generally make Sugar
> activities also run in non-Sugar environments.
>
> Best place to discuss that is probably the upstream Sugar-devel list.

Yes.

> Hope that helps,
>
>  - Jonas
>
> - --
> * Jonas Smedegaard - idealist og Internet-arkitekt
> * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/
>
>  [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private

And Children are my nation.