[Debian-olpc-devel] lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Nov 5 22:43:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 10:44:39PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 09:21:07PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>You need to uninstall libmetacity0.
>After that I ran into the same trouble (or even more):

Oh.

python-gconf (source gnome-python) and python-rsvg (source
gnome-python-desktop) needs to be backported.

I thought I had it all covered :-(

>I must admit I don't understand what's going on as sugar-0.86 only
>depends on "metacity (>= 1:2.27.1) | metacity (=
>1:2.26.0-3.0.0jones1)" and the latter one is already installed
>(verified with "dpkg -l '*metacity*'"). No explicit dependency on
>libmetacity*, so no reason for aptitude to pull it in;
>libmetacity-private0 even has "Replaces: libmetacity0".

  1) python-rsvg is unavailable, so python-gnome2-desktop is picked
  2) backported libmetacity-private0 virtually provides libmetacity0
  3) older python-gnome2-desktop depend versioned on libmetacity0
  4) only unversioned dependencies can be satisfied virtually

>root at aquarium:~# apt-cache policy
>Package files:
>  100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      release a=now
>  990 http://debian.jones.dk lenny/sugar-src Packages
>      release o=Jones,a=stable,l=Jones,c=sugar-src

Don't subscribe to "sugar-src", only to "sugar".

>>Probably you installed Gnome using apt-get (or using
>>debian-installer),
>Actually it was the (official lenny) 0.82 Sugar packages that pulled
>in libmetacity0:
>
>root at aquarium:~# aptitude why libmetacity0
>i   sugar-web-activity    Depends python-gnome2-desktop (>= 2.16)
>i A python-gnome2-desktop Depends libmetacity0 (>= 1:2.22.0)
>root at aquarium:~#

Ah, ok.

>PS: Is there a chance you would sign your packages? apt doesn't seem
>to support https URLs ("E: The method driver
>/usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found."). :-/

Try install apt-transport-https.

I believe my archive needs signing, not the packages, to have APT not
complain about security.  I want to do that, but it requires changes to
my handcoded release scripts which I haven't found time to do yet.

  - Jonas