[Debian-olpc-devel] lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Nov 6 12:05:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 12:42:43PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 11:57:56PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>Yes, you are right.  But even better if a newer
>>python-gnome2-desktop  could be backported, as it provides
>>python-rsvg as an isolated binary  package, allowing a much smaller
>>installation.
>Is that possible or does it pull in new versions of half of Gnome
>because of API changes?

I hope not.  Time will tell.

So far I have backported pixman, cairo, poppler, evince and glib2.0, and
am currently fighting with gtk2.0 (takes a long time and failed multiple
times due to lack of disk space in my backport chroot).

>>Also sugar-0.86 depends on python-gconf which is unavailable in Lenny.
>python-gconf is part of python-gnome2 for the Lenny versions.

Yes, I found out yesterday and released a new packaging version of
sugar-0.86 which is now backported as well.

...and doing that I noticed that the old backport was not up-to-date, so
probably the other backported Sugar parts also could use an update.

>>I have a moment ago started backporting the chain of packages
>>needed for  that (just finished gobject-introspection while writing
>>now, still  pending is pygobject and then gnome-python itself).
>Cool, thanks!

I dropped those and rely on the python-gnome2 fallback denṕendency for
now.  I might try again when python-gnome2-desktop has been backported,
if it turns out to be a big benefit with only using python-gconf.

  - Jonas