[Debian-olpc-devel] lenny (debian.jones.dk): broken metacity

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Nov 6 13:01:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 01:40:34PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 01:05:53PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>So far I have backported pixman, cairo, poppler, evince and
>>glib2.0, and  am currently fighting with gtk2.0 (takes a long time
>>and failed multiple  times due to lack of disk space in my backport
>>chroot).
>Sounds rather invasive... Fortunately the host I'm going to try this
>on doesn't run much else. :)

It only takes a single foul package to completely ruin your system.

I do not recall the actual package, but at some point in time, a package
created a user with the dummy homedir / and the removal script included
"deluser --remove-home".  So everything worked fine until you *removed*
that package, then *poof* your whole system was gone.

That was an official Debian Developer, and an official upload to Debian
Sid.  It did not make it to stable, however, but probably only because
it was a boring package that someone tried out and then removed again.
Similar disasters may lurk in more prominent packages still :-P

That said, I agree with you that upgrading GTK+ is invasive.  The source
was only 27MB but compilation consumed almost 2GB for each build (I
compiled for amd64 and i386).

Now that one is ready, and I am struggling with build-problems of
Evince...

  - Jonas