[Debian-olpc-devel] 'rainbow' uploaded to mentors.debian.net

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Nov 17 17:58:57 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:01:15AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
>Jonas wrote:
>
>>But that upstream mixture of make and python-distutils is problematic:
>>the makefile handles Python code too simplistic for Debian needs (e.g.
>>simply invokes unversioned python rather than taking into account the
>>packaging hints on which version to use)!
>
>What specific packaging hints are you referring to?

Debian packaging of Python modules use hints in either debian/control or
somewhere else (I've lost track of the ever-changing Debian Python
Policy) about which Python versions are supported for that particular
Python module.

The hints affect which Python compiler(s) are used at build time, and
which Python versions the resulting binary package(s) are allowed to be
installed together with.

The distutils build routine allows for applying these hints, and
autotools do as well.  Your invoking distutils from within a plain
makefile, however, needs more packaging work.

Hope that makes sense.

 - Jonas