[Debian-olpc-devel] Missing deps for sucrose-0.86.

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-debian-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Sun Nov 29 11:09:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:34:06PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Please note that comparing the list of missing dependencies provided
> by  Michael Stone with the "components" listed in the "Sugar Platform"
> page,  only EToys is missing.
That's good news. Which package does gst-plugins-espeak hide in? It's
still on my to-do list for sugar-jhbuild.

> When packages are getting packaged for Debian, their dependencies will
>   be handled as well.
"Sugar Platform" is meant as a basis for activities distributed by other
means. Of course native Debian packages only have to depend on the
specific packages they actually need.
I should have made clear that I intended the meta package to be for
non-Fructose, non-packaged activities ("Honey"). The fact that it also
provides all dependencies needed by Fructose is only a nice bonus (but
was the reason I mentioned it).

> And when all packages part of Sucrose is packaged,  the current
> suggests of sucrose-0.8x packages will be raised to depends,  as that
> package will then act as the Debian official way to install "all  of
> core Sugar".
Similarly the sugar-platform-0.xx (whatever it gets called) should
provide not only "core" Sugar, but "all an activity author can safely
rely on being available". It will significantly increase the
installation size (which is why a "core" package is still useful), but
provide assurance that all well-written (and portable) activities should
work.

> In Debian-speak a "virtual package" is a package not existing at all,
> [...]
Thanks for the explanation! Having worked with quite a few distributions
in the past, I tend to get confused over how a given distro calls
certain artificial packages / package names.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/