[Debian-olpc-devel] sugar 0.86 for Debian Edu lenny?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Oct 20 20:13:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 01:07:15PM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 13:02, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
>> [Holger Levsen]
>>> This would increase the (ease of) availability of those packages and
>>> that new UI concept, while it shouldnt mean any additional risk and
>>> little burden for Debian Edu, as the packages are indepent of the
>>> "normal" Debian Edu UI and since we can rely on the fine work of
>>> their maintainers.
>>
>> One problem I experienced with the old packages, is that there is no
>> way to select sugar as a desktop when logging in using kdm, and it is
>> not possible to select sugar as a replacement desktop manager the way
>> one can select between gdm and kdm.  This make it hard to get the
>> sugar desktop started after installation.  Are these issues fixed?
>> How are users supposed to get sugar started after installation now?
>>
>> If we upgrade the sugar packages, I expect we will need to update the
>> education-sugar tasks as well.
>
>Some distributions ship a .desktop file that adds Sugar to the
>desktops option in gdm (and I guess in kdm). I'm not 100% sure if it
>is present in the debian packages, Jonas could confirm.

I can confirm that Sugar packaged for Debian Sid (i.e. packages
sugar-0.84 and sugar-0.86) ships with a .desktop file.  If anyone care
to test, it should be as simple as installing the various sugar packages
(no, no metapackage provided yet as still not all of Sucrose has been
packaged) and then choose the Sugar desktop via the GDM desktop manager.

I believe my unofficial backport for Lenny is not currently up-to-date
with newest packaging for Sid.

I am unaware if KDM shipped with Debian Etch respects the XDG "Desktop
Entry Specification" which I believe is the formal name for those
.desktop files.

  - Jonas