[Debian-olpc-devel] python-xklavier -- Python bindings for libxklavier

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Apr 17 18:27:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 01:32:31PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>> I noticed you commited a bunch of changes together.

[details snipped]

>Sorry.

Don't be!

Those issues were really nitpicking.  Yor packaging was already
excellent, and is now nearing ultimate perfection! :-D

...at least from my viewpoint - others might disagree or spot something
that I've missed, and I might change my mind at any time ;-)

>> How is it - are you a DM or a DD now? Can you release the package on
>> your own officially for Debian or would you want me to do it?
>
>I am currently a DM. I would appreciate you sponsoring the initial
>upload. The DM-Upload-Allowed flag is set, so I would be able to
>conduct subsequent uploads; if you feel this is unwarranted feel free
>to unset the flag.

Please do not call it "sponsoring".  I do not like the concept of
sponsoring, and do not sponsor packages.  This is *teamwork*, which is
structurally different: With sponsoring you claim responsibility by
putting yourself as Maintainer; with teamwork you put the team as
Maintainer and someone capable the team (me, and subsequent uploads
yourself when DM-tagged) uploads to Debian.

Hope that makes sense. :-)

And sure, I'll release the packaging.  Just wanted your approval first.
I experienced myself a couple of cases of peer developers releasing
team-maintained code without coordination where I felt bypassed, so I
suggest we try to ask before releasing, both of us (except when too
excited about a change just burning to be released immediately - then
we'll have to discuss afterwards if wise or not).

>Aside: I wasn't sure whether I am ready to apply for DD. I maintain
>several (6) packages and have worked with multiple sponsors, and in
>total my packages have a popcon count of about 170. My packages are all
>bug free (according to BTS), and I attempt to respond to user concerns
>in a prompt manner.
>
>Should I apply at this time?

Personally I dislike the whole logic of DM, so if you ask me then hell
yes: apply for true proper DD status!

And not at all based on your merit (neither of which are good measures
of your skills as potential DD), but on your interest in Debian, and
perceived skill level from our (attempts at) working together.

Go for it! :-D

  - Jonas