[Debian-olpc-devel] python- prefix

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Apr 18 01:24:10 UTC 2010

Hi David (and others),

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 07:06:06PM -0500, David Farning wrote:

>Can you help me understand the differences between the python- prefix
>and the sugar- prefix?

I can try :-)

>What is the naming difference between:
>1. python-sugar-toolkit-0.88 and sugar-tools-0.88 ?

Debian Python Policy requires Python module packages to be named
python-<modulename>.  I choose to interpret that as being a requirement
for the _binary_ package, and use upstream project name for the source
package.

Also, due to supporting multiple branches of Sugar packages
concurrently, I apend branch version to both source and binary packages,
and provide a virtual binary package that fulfills the Python Policy
requirement.

the "*-tools" name is just a common name for packages containing
optional scripts or utilities for a library.  Another often used name
for such packages is "*-utils"

>2. python-sugar-0.88 and sugar-0.88 ?

Again, the binary package is renamed to match the python module that it
contains, while the source package is named after the upstream project.

Hope that makes sense.

  - Jonas