[Debian-olpc-devel] sugar-speak-activity and licensing of PyAIML

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Fri Aug 13 21:58:58 UTC 2010

Hello Cort,
This is Sebastian Silva from the Sugar project.
A couple of years ago Rafael Ortiz and I integrated PyAIML into
"Speak", the robot that ships with Sugar and the +1 million OLPC
computers. After this effort, subsequent versions of Speak have
carried your program and some brains for Spanish and English.

We are having a problem with your license and are wondering
if it would be possible to change it?
I understand your disdain for legalese but I also think you were not
trying to stop us from distributing it.

Thanks for considering this.

Sebastian

2010/8/13 Luke Faraone <lfaraone at debian.org>

> Hi all,
>

> Previous versions of sugar-speak-activity embedded PyAIML[1], an
> Artificial Intelligence Markup Language interpreter. PyAIML suffers from
> having a rather unfortunate license[2], which I'll quote below in its
> entirety:
>
> > License Information
> >
> > I hate legalese. This software is free to use and distribute however
> you'd like. I'm not aware of any catastrophic bugs, but please don't come
> crying to me if this software fries your board. Void where prohibited. No
> purchase necessary. You must be 18 or older to make this call. For indoor or
> outdoor use ONLY. We live for the One, we die for the One.
>
> After discussion on #debian-devel, I've come to the conclusion that as
> of today, the license is non-free. alsroot has stripped PyAIML from the
> newest version of Speak, 17[3], and Sebastian Dziallas had developed a
> patch he's used in Fedora[4], attached for completeness.
>
> Therefore, if we package the new upstream version of Speak from the
> tarball, and apply the patch to disable PyAIML support, we should have
> something working that is legally distributable.
>

> [1]: http://pyaiml.sourceforge.net/
> [2]: http://pyaiml.sourceforge.net/#license
> [3]: http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/Speak/speak-17.tar.gz
> [4]:
>
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/sugar-speak/devel/sugar-speak-no-aiml.patch

> │Luke Faraone                          ╭Debian / Ubuntu Developer╮│
>http://luke.faraone.cc                ╰Sugar Labs, Systems Admin╯│
> │PGP: 5189 2A7D 16D0 49BB 046B  DC77 9732 5DD8 F9FD D506          │

Sebastian Silva
http://somosazucar.org/
"Te imaginas si te pudieran enseñar sólo a leer pero no a escribir??"