[Debian-olpc-devel] Packaging of Image-Viewer

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Aug 23 05:13:59 UTC 2010

Hi Siegfried-Angel,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 02:27:09AM +0200, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter
Pujals wrote:
>2010/8/22 Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk>:
>> I would go further and suggest to remove (after a fair warning on
>> this list) collab-maint gits not actively worked on, like this one.
>
>From my side, I'm fine with that. I have local copies of all packages
>shall I ever need them.
>
>(I believe I'd make more sense to leave them so someone interested can
>take them over, but this is your repository and you are free to do what
>you want with it).

Thanks for raising this point.

One issue with shared archives like collab-maint where more than 1.000
developers have write access is that of cruft building up: It is really
hard for someone to cleanup, as it is really hard to a) notice what is
stale and b) resolve who is responsible - as in principle all are.

Also, git is a distributed VCS, which means even if deleted, it should
be possible to recover later if only one developer has a clone of it
(which would highly likely be the case if anyone still has an interest
in it).

Regards,

  - Jonas