[Debian-olpc-devel] Review of sugar-speak-activity

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Aug 26 08:47:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:32:29PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>Please recheck your package (as we should all be doing per Jonas'
>mail), grepping the source for applicable import statements.

Grepping is risky!

I do not remember currently, but quite some time ago I tried to figure
out a few grep rules to auto-discover all Python dependencies and gave
up, as I found it too fragile an approach: there are more ways to
express imports!  Also, there are multiple ways to execute external
binaries.  And the code might rely on some D-Bus services available.

It really IMHO requires to _read_ all of the code to a) discover all
relations to external modules, binaries and other resources, and b)
figure out for each of them if it should be dependended on, recommended
or suggested.

>Also, you should consider packaging instead Speak 18, released
>yesterday, which removes a number of inappropriate-for-education-usage
>content from the AIML source files.

I suspect that to be irrelevant for us, as we package AIML separately
from the activity: Make sure to use the separately packaged AIML, not
include duplicated with the Speak package!

Kind regards,

  - Jonas