[Debian-olpc-devel] Packaging without an upstream tarball

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Jul 6 19:20:31 UTC 2010

[replying only to Alioth list - all are subscribed there]

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 10:07:16AM -0700, Luke Faraone wrote:

>On 07/05/2010 07:14 AM, David Farning wrote:
>> Luke,your getting started guide used a tarball as a starting point...
>> but several of the activities don't have an up to date tarball on
>> download.sl.o.
>>
>> It is possible to start packaging an activity by pointing to a
>> existing repository on git.sl.o rather than doing a pristine import.
>
>I think it's possible to do this using upstream git on a branch and
>using tagging, but I'm not too clear on how to do that. Jonas, would
>you happen to know more about this?

Yes, it is possible to work from git tagging.  Start with the
README.source in sugar-0.88 - I believe that one is most up-to-date.

But I strongly recommend to instead work with upstream and request them
to release proper official tarballs.

Code without upstream tarballs are often an indication of lack of
interest in continued maintainance upstream.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas