[Debian-olpc-devel] Core Sugar packages and SEETA-sugar team

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jul 15 16:16:13 UTC 2010

Hi Dipankar Patro, and everyone else,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:30:28PM +0530, Dipankar Patro wrote:

>I would like to introduce me and my team members of seeta-sugar team.
>
>SEETA-sugar team:
>
>Manusheel Gupta
>Kandarp Kaushik
>Dipankar Patro
>Ankur Khurana
>Neeraj Gupta

A warm welcome to all of you!!

>We are have been working with David Farning and Luke Faraone for quite
>some time now. (http://wiki.debian.org/Sugar/tasks#preview) Luke
>Faraone reviews our packages at git.debian.org/collab-maint.
>
>We would like to help you in core Sugar Packages.
>Kandarp would like to work on pippy and read activity.
>I would like to work on presence service and datastore packages.
>
>How can we help you with packaging of the above packages?

First of all, I apologize for my silence lately.  I am involved as a
technician in a theater project and have been busy preparing, and now
running, a performance in Turin, Italy.  This theater performance ends
sunday - next one starts mid September.  I will attend Debian Debcamp
and Debconf in New York in a week and 2 weeks onwards.  All in all I
hope to very soon be more responsive and productive again on this list
:-)

I have noticed your work on that wiki page already[1] and the
correspondence of yours that has emerged already on this mailinglist.

I am very excited about all the packages that you are preparing!

I am concerned, however, that only parts of the correspondence happens
on the mailinglist.  Ideally I would want us to exchange ideas,
questions and solutions on this list.  Such mailinglist use would not
only serve us that work together, but also potentially inspire others to
participate whom perhaps currently consider helping out but look at the
mailinglist and feel that not much is happening in this team. :-(

David has told me that you already work close together on IRC.
Personally I seldom use it[2], but if it works for you then great.  It
would be nice, however, if you maybe now and then carry over the "top of
the iceberg" of what happens in IRC land to the mailinglist.  Automated
or manually, I don't care.  But so that us (or am I the only one?)
following this mailinglist but not engaged on IRC do not loose out on
issues discussed, problems fought etc.

On a related note, I have noticed that recent posts by David and Luke
are cross-posts both to this mailinglist and an Ubuntu list.  I dislike
cross-posting in general.  I can try elaborate further on my reasonings
if you want.  You (David, Luke, others?) can also try elaborate on why
you believe cross-posting is relevant and needed.  Let's try agree on a
sensible posting style - I hereby open that debate by stating that
cross-posting is bad, and suggest we simply don't do that.

That was more general reflections. Back to your actual questions:

I obviously care about Sugar in Debian.  This means I am very happy that
you want to help work on packaging, but it also means I want it done
properly and frankly I do not yet know you - all I know is from Luke and
David explaining some detals that you missed for some packages.

Presence service and datastore are core parts of the Sugar framework.  I
would prefer that you wait working on those until we have gotten to know
each other a bit more.  I.e. that you start with non-core parts like
activities or libraries not depended on by core parts, and use this
debian-olpc-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org mailinglist to discuss issues
and packaging style with David and Luke (and me and others that might
join in on the discussion).

Read and Pippy, although treated upstream by Sugarlabs as core parts of
Sugar, is not in my eyes "core parts".  Feel free to hack on those :-)

But please consider using this mailinglist.  Not to ask *me*
questions[3] but generally as our common platform to exchange knowledge
and coordinate ourvarious work.

...and please do speak up if you feel that I too am not using the
mailinglist enough!  I have worked mostly alone for many years, and only
slowly getting into the mindset of teamwork, so may easily forget to
share my own parts, even if I am quick to point out similar lack by
others :-)

Looking forward to work with you all!

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

[1] On the Debian wiki you can "subscribe" to pages so that you receive
an email notice each time the page changes.  A trick is that instead
subscribing to specific pages you can instead put a regular expression.
I subscribe to the following:

   .*Sugar.*

which means I started received noticed on above wiki page even without
knowing that it existed - due to it containing "Sugar" in its name. :-)

[2] I love realtime chat.  Problem is I find it so fun that it quickly
steals too much of my time.  Also, I like the slow pace of email,
allowing me to reflect a lot on how I express myself (not that it is a
guarantee - I still write stupid or aggressive things sometimes). :-)

[3] Generally when posting to a list it is often best to just write "hi
all" or similar (i.e. not address a specific person): This encourages