[Debian-olpc-devel] Solving lintian W: build-depends-on-python-dev-with-no-arch-any

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Sat Jul 24 23:29:13 UTC 2010

Hi Luke (and others),

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 07:02:59PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>By default, python-sugar.mk includes a dep on python-dev (in
>CDBS_BUILD_DEPENDS_class_python-sugar_python). This triggers a lintian
>warning, which we've discussed on list before[1].
>
>Jonas said that I should just unset the variable before if I determine
>that the dep is not needed. Is the following the proper way to do so?
>	CDBS_BUILD_DEPENDS_class_python-sugar_python = ''

Nope - as when *-dev is unneeded we instead require the non-dev package.

Also, in some unusual situations (targeting a system where default
Python version is unsupported) the package for a non-default Python
version might be the one required.

The following lines are what I currently use (grabbed from sugar
package):

# Suppress unneeded auto-resolved build-dependency on python-dev
CDBS_BUILD_DEPENDS_class_python-autotools_python = python$(cdbs_python_nondefault_version)

Kind regards,

  - Jonas