[Debian-olpc-devel] CDBS not automatically declaring versioned debhelper build-dep

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Tue Jul 27 22:50:18 UTC 2010

Hi Luke,

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 04:32:49PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>I'm working on sugar-terminal-activity (in git.d.o), and when I'm
>building it, I get a lintian warning:
>	W: sugar-terminal-activity source:
>package-lacks-versioned-build-depends-on-debhelper 5
>
>I'm pretty sure I don't declare a comaptibility level, but anyway, this
>issue does not occur in, for example, sugar-physics-activity, because
>the versioning of the build dependency is included. Is there something
>I'm omitting that is different between the two?

When you omit the file debian/compat file which explicitly declares
debhelper compatibility, CDBS automatically adds that file, setting the
compatibility level to the lowest known to be supported by debhelper,
version 5.

What causes your described lintian warning is not that by itself,
however, but the fact that CDBS auto-resolved build-dependencies for
debhelper 5 is made unversioned as that version is provided even in
stable so considered unneeded to declare.

There's a bug against CDBS, I believe, to "fix" this "wrong"
build-dependency resolving, but I disagree with the logic so currently
have no plan to change it.

You can...

    a) ignore the lintian warning as harmless,
    b) bump debian/compat to a newer version, or
    c) override auto-resolved build-dependency.

Hope that helps.

   - Jonas