[Debian-olpc-devel] lintian warning: sugar-irc-activity

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Jul 28 14:09:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:50:34AM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:

>On 07/27/2010 07:53 PM, James Cameron wrote:
>> Yes, that would do it.  Large hammer for small nail.  However you
>> could also restrict your chmod to only the affected files, and do it
>> to the files prior to install.  Remind me where your debian/rules
>> file is stored (git somewhere, if I recall correctly), and I can have
>> a look.
>Git repo: git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/sugar-irc-activity.git
>
>debian/rules viewable on the web:
>http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/sugar-irc-activity.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules
>
>> I'm unsure of your meaning.  I don't know if these files need to be
>> +x, but my meagre research suggests not.  You should do functional
>> test on the package to make sure you can connect to an IRC server and
>> have a conversation.
>
>- From what I can tell, they don't.

James' point, as I read it, is that when Ankur does the packaging, then
Ankur should verify that the packaging is sane - and an obvious test is
to try use the package :-)

It is good that you can support the assumed sanity of the packaging.
The point of actual testing still stand.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas