[Debian-olpc-devel] Dry run of importing a NUV in sugar-0.88

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Wed Jun 9 17:31:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 11:34:24AM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:

>I did a test trying to import sugar-0.88_0.88.1 following the
>instructions you provided in debian/README.source.
>
>I got as far as "git checkout upstream-git". When I do this, I get an
>error that:
>	error: pathspec 'upstream-git' did not match any file(s) known to git.
>

>A log of my terminal session is attached. Is there something I am doing
>incorrectly?

The README (of the "sugar" packaging at least) does not cover how to
fully bootstrap your local Git to track upstream Sugarlabs git in
addition to the Debian packaging git.

...and it is outdated too: I have since found that (for Sugar projects
at least, which sanely tags each tarball release in Git) it is
unnecessary to maintain an upstream-git branch at all - it should be
enough to fetch as a remote and merge upstream release tag.

I have now updated the README.source for "sugar".  Please try it out and
tell if you understand and it works for you.

Feel free to improve the text, and to replicate to the other Sugar
projects.

Kind regards, and sorry for the mess,

  - Jonas