[Debian-olpc-devel] Developing Ubuntu on Alioth

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 12:45:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 03:25:49PM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>>
>> On 06/22/2010 02:19 PM, David Farning wrote:
>>>
>>> I am not sure if this has been done before... but I would like to ask if
>>> it would be possible to develop the USR packages as git branches to the
>>> Debian sugar package on Alioth.  When looking at the tooling of bzr vs git,
>>> it appears that there are significant long term advantages to sharing the
>>> tooling with upstream.  My stance is that the tooling should make it as easy
>>> as possible to stay in sync with upstream.
>>>
>>> Does this sound sane?
>>
>> Seems reasonable. I checked in #alioth on oftc, and they said that we're
>> free to create such repositories in collab-maint. Jonas: thoughts on this?
>
> Sorry - I do not know what USR means.

USR is Ubuntu Sugar Remix basically it is Sugar on Ubuntu + a bunch of
quality assurance.

> or what it is you consider doing with bzr and git, so fail to understand the question.

Because Sugar on Ubuntu is Sugar on Debian with a few minor
modifications--usually for dependency issues related to versions,  I
propose that we maintain the Ubuntu packages as branches on your
existing Debian git repositories.   this will help ensure that: 1) It
is easy to pull any QA work from Ubuntu packages into Debian. 2)
Require a conscious effort for Ubuntu to deviate from Debian.  3) Give
the the existing Debian team to pull from the ubuntu branch when the
commits meet Debian standards.

david