[Debian-olpc-devel] Sugar 0.88

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Mar 31 23:53:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 01:13:17AM +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 09:31:16PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>I believe you should register all files part of your project with
>>the  autotools mechanisms, so that the output "make dist" is
>>identical to the  content of the Git - except for .gitignore files
>>and the .git dir.
>Is there anything except autogen.sh that you're still missing (and
>that's not just some ancient cruft like
>sugar/docs/{controls,design}.txt)?

Not that I noticed in this latest round of updates, no.

>>For that particular file I actually recommend _against_
>>distributing it  but instead drop it from Git too, and educate the
>>developers to use the  autotools "autoreconf" tool instead of
>>shipping a script for same  purpose.
>autogen.sh does more than just autoreconf. auto* is enough black
>magic that I wouldn't risk removing the file (and I guess the other
>developers don't have much more auto* knowledge). I'd rather replace
>it with something else, but that's not going to get accepted unless
>"some deployment is asking for it", so I won't even try.

Looking at the sugar project, it contains the following:

#!/bin/sh
intltoolize
autoreconf -i
./configure --enable-maintainer-mode "$@"

The first one, intltoolize, has been replaced with autopoint in newest
autotools. Add AM_GNU_GETTEXT and AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.17) to
configure.ac to have autopoint included in autoreconf (adjust the
gettext version to the version you actually have installed on the
development system).

Regarding second line I recommend to extend to also use --force option,
as timestamps are unreliable with Git.

Third line should be included when using the --make option.

So all in all you should be able to use the following:

  autoreconf -ivfm

I write "should" as it failed when I tried just now - config.status
isn't created.  Hmm - gotta figure that one out...

>["broken" gconf defaults file]
>>If you can reproduce the problem in "plain" (i.e. non-chroot'ed)
>>environment then please file a bugreport!
>It happened _only_ on the "real" / "plain" installation, not inside
>the chroot.

Oh, ok.  Then file a bugreport (if you haven't already).

>>><type 'exceptions.ImportError'>: No module named xpcom.server
>>>Obtaining the module object from Python failed.
>>Please file a bugreport about it.
>Done.

Thanks.

  - Jonas