[Debian-ports-devel] Moving powerpc to Debian Ports

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 1 13:30:24 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 01:42:50PM +0900, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Since Debian powerpc was recently announced to be removed as a release architecture,
> I would like to formally request to move the port to Debian Ports as there still seems
> to be quite some demand among users [1].

It won't be a release arch, but that doesn't imply removal in general from debian.

> My suggestion would be to set up some instances on IBM's POWER cloud (hence CC'ing Breno
> who has been so kind to provide cloud instances to support the ppc64 port with the
> hope that he'd be willing to do the same for powerpc). I'm also CC'ing James Clarke
> who's maintaining a fork of DSA's puppet configuration for the buildds and who can help
> setting up the new buildd instances for Debian powerpc as a Debian Ports architecture.
>
> As with the other architectures in Debian Ports, I suggest providing shared wanna-build
> access among all Debian Ports maintainers (CC'ing everyone involved).
>
> I really want to keep Debian powerpc maintained for the foreseeable future because I
> don't want to disappoint our users who are still using PowerPC hardware.

Until someone says they want to remove it from the main debian archives,
I see no reason to ask to move it to ports.  The time to ask for that
is if it is announced it is going to be removed from the main debian
archives, and that certainly has not happened at this time.

--
Len Sorensen