[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: New patch to make linux-2.6 support the ppc64 architecture

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 16 15:10:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 01:33:02PM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> Hello Sven,

Hello Andreas,

Again, before we go ahead, do we really need still a separate powerpc64
archive like you do, or a separate kernel ? I mean since you are hacking dpkg
and stuff anyway, you could as well make it accept to install powerpc packages
if you really want it, but i still believe the right way is to abandon this
now, and help out with the biarch effort.

I mean instead of duplicating most of the packages and effort, especially as
this will never become an official arch, please start lobyying for building
ppc64 instances of libraries and critical apps, which will then be able to
take advantage of 64bitness without needing a full rebuild with the
performance hit this implies.

I mean, what are the advantages of your solution over the biarch way ? Right
now i see it is duplicated work and incures a performance penalty, which are
not counterbalanced by anything positive.

> Please also consider to set CONFIG_THERM_PM72=y in the config file.
> Otherwise PowerMac G5 machines will become very noisy when using the
> ppc64 kernel.

Ok, 2.6.12-4 went into unstable without that, but we will fix this in -5. I
suppose i removed it because it failed to build in 2.6.11 or something.

Friendly,

Sven Luther