[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: 64bit status report : biarch toolchain and ppc64 debian kernel.

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 02:55:35 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Sven Luther <sven.luther at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> That brings us to the next step, what is the best way to get most libraries to
> build 64bit packages ? This would need some extensive change in the packaging
> stuff probably.

As you know, there are two ways:

a. Major hacking for each and every package.
b. Pure and sane 64-bit system.

One is a never-ending task. It's like having a millstone around
your neck while you walk through the snow, uphill both ways.

Try looking at this the other way around. Given a 64-bit system,
how do you create an emulation environment for 32-bit crud?
See also: FreeBSD's Linux emulation, Linux's IRIX emulation,
Wine, DOSEMU, Linux's SunOS emulation, NetBSD's Linux
emulation, support for a.out on a libc5 Linux system, etc.

We never had /libELF or /usr/libELF directories. Why not?
Despite that, a.out worked fine on ELF systems. That's even
with shared libraries.