[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: 64bit status report : biarch toolchain and ppc64 debian kernel.

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Sat Aug 20 07:02:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 11:21:39AM -0400, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 10:02 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> > But yes, a. is a major undertaking, and i was hoping of some automated method
> > for generating the 64 bit stuff, maybe even in the same package. Needs some
> > experimenting though.
>
> Why not just deal with this in an on-demand manner? I.e. users or
> maintainers of packages that actually need a 64 bit build request one
> for the package and/or its dependencies.

Yep, but there are two problems : This is still more work than an automated
setup, even if you automatize this on demand, and often folk will find out
what libraries are needed after the release :)

I was thinking of a system, where the -m64 packages are built and put in the
same package as the -m32 ones, which would minimize size duplication, but i am
not sure about the mechanism.

What we really need is a sample package to start biarchizing, and then learn
from the effort. Any suggestion about a good candidate ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther