[Debian-ppc64-devel] G5 owners, please test ... Re: ppc64 pseries 2.6.11-2 .deb kernel available.

Sven Luther sven.luther@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:34:36 +0200

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 04:15:39PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thanks to the great job of Jeff Bailey and Matthias Klose, who provided a set
> of gcc-3.4/glibc-2.3.5 based biarch toolchain, i have managed to build a first
> ppc64 kernel package, which is available at :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64
>
> Altough obviously untested, as i don't have a ppc64 box, it should install
> over a normal sarge system, and run on all ppc64 boxes, from power3 RS6K ones
> to newer iseries, passing by all apple G5 macs, except for the older
> pre-power5 iseries. It is built without power4 optimization and in SMP mode
> only for now, since i want to get this flavour tested and investigated before
> multiplicating the different kernel images.
>
> This kernel is *not* yet for production, since at least it will want a 64bit
> compiled procutils, to take care of 64bit process ids in /proc.
>
> Future plans include integrating these kernels in etch, once the biarch
> toolchain makes it to it, and working on a ppc64 d-i, but first please test
> this kernel on as much as possible 64bit powerpc machines, and provide
> feedback to me.

So, none of you G5 powermac owners is willing to test this 64bit kernel, after
all the time folk have been requesting it ?

I have had only two reports so far, one successful on a :

  pSeries 630, model 7028-6E4

and one failed on a :

   POWER5 IBM iSeries (i5) model 9406-520

(probably due to missing LPAR support patches).

In any case, it should work just fine on G5 powermacs.

Friendly,

Sven Luther