[Debian-ppc64-devel] Boot CD for ppc64 on IBM OpenPower 710/720

Sven Luther sven.luther@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:24:52 +0200

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:41:20PM +0200, Harald G=F6rl wrote:
> Hi list, Cajus.
> I created a (very simple) boot cd for Debian ppc64 on IBM OpenPower. Th=
e=20
> cd only contains the zImage.initrd, which also could be transfered via=20
> tftp. There is also a readme file on the cd with some instructions how =
i=20
> created the cd. The boot process on CHRP machines is "interesting".

Ok.

> I compiled an "own" kernel image for this cd, because i missed two=20
> things in the available debian-kernels (from Cajus P. or Sven L.) which=
=20
> i tried to integrate in the cd image:
>=20
> 1. We have a Matrox G450 build into our machines and so
> CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G=3Dy MUST be set, otherwise kernel traces and stops a=
t=20
> boot time. (of course this is not neccessary for virtual partitions whe=
n=20
> the Matrox card is not visible.)

Mmm, this one is present in the -pseries kernel :

  CONFIG_FB_MATROX_G=3Dy

So i guess you had only problem with this with Cajus's kernel ?=20

> 2. I was missing the "ipr.ko" kernel driver for the IBM SCSI device. (W=
e=20
> have no raid adapter in our OpenPower!)

what is the config option for this one ?=20

Huh, i suppose this is the one :

  CONFIG_SCSI_IPR :
  This driver supports the IBM Power Linux family RAID adapters.
  This includes IBM pSeries 5712, 5703, 5709, and 570A, as well
  as IBM iSeries 5702, 5703, 5709, and 570A.

Well, this is built as module, as it should, but maybe it is not included=
 in
the .udebs. ...

Indeed it is here :

$ find /lib/modules/2.6.11-pseries/ -name ipr.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.11-pseries/kernel/drivers/scsi/ipr.ko

Will do a new .udeb build tomorrow to include them, can you provide me wi=
th
the lspci and lspci -n output of those devices to check that discover kno=
ws
about them ?

> The cd should be usable to start the d-i without tftp-ing, but does not=
=20
> contain any .deb archives.
>=20
> Download at:
>=20
> http://ftp.uni-augsburg.de/pub/tuxppc/test/
>=20
> A test kernel (.deb) with the same .config is also available. The=20
> cd/kernel is working for me, perhaps it could be helpful for somebody e=
lse.

How do you built that .deb ?=20

Friendly,

Sven Luther