[Debian-ppc64-devel] Call For Help - Please support the ppc64 architecture

Cajus Pollmeier cajus@debian.org
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:46:31 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 17. M=E4rz 2005 09:44 schrieb Sven Luther:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 09:46:36AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 20:27 +0100, Andreas Jochens wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > This is a call for help from the 'ppc64' porters.

> > > There has been a decision of the Debian Technical Committee concern=
ing
> > > the name of the amd64 port which basically says that the porting te=
am
> > > should decide on the architecture name generally (see [1]).
> > >
> > > The ppc64 porters decided to use the name 'ppc64' as the package
> > > name a few month ago.
> > >
> > > .../...
> >
> > It's a fully 64 bits setup as it seems ? That is rather inefficient.
> >
> > Have we any proper way of doing multiarch setups ? The "proper" way t=
> > do ppc64 is to have both archs libs and 32 bits userland for most
> > things, as ppc64 native code is slightly slower.
> >
> > I have repeated that over and over again but it seems I have been
> > ignored so far...
>
> Not ignored, there is an effort, fully orthogonal to this pure-64 one, =
> get ppc64 biarch going. We are somewhat stopped by the work needed on t=
he
> sarge release, but it will happen in the close next time.
>
> Now, there is an interest on IBM's and IBM's customer part for getting
> ppc64 support, and altough we have access to the augsbourg power5 box (=
but
> without virtual machine, so we can't really do kernel or installer test=
s),
> we don't have those ppc64 machine IBM mentioned could be made available=
,
> which makes work on the kernel and installer part at least less possibl=
e.

Not happening to match 100% here, but:

As said. I have such a machine and I can port the (currently working with=
 a=20
ppc64 kernel only) installer for these machines to be pure ppc64. You can=
=20
even do kernel tests if you want to, but I've to restart the correspondin=
g=20
LPAR for you, then.

If you test the kernel: I've done patches to enable vscsis in Debian and =
added=20
the emulex driver for vanilla 2.6.11.x. Who may take care of this?

Cheers,
Cajus