[Debian-ppc64-devel] is this port alife?

Andreas Jochens aj at andaco.de
Fri Nov 4 14:15:52 UTC 2005

On 05-Nov-04 14:22, Harald Görl wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >Ah, yeah, but how much of that bandwidth are we allowed to take over ? A
> >full
> >buildd needs to download/uploads loads of packages, and there may be other
> >bandwidth using tasks Andreas has in ming.
>
> Well, that is the difficult part of the answer ;-) Normally i would say,
> just use as much as you need, if the usage is not completely senseless.
>
> But i have to be very careful here ;-) So what do you think is the
> aprox. bandwith usage? Just round about? MBytes/day?

A buildd will basically have to download the complete source package
updates from the Debian unstable distribution every day. This may amount
to several hundred MBytes per day depending on how many new source package
versions are uploaded to the unstable distribution (usually about 100
packages per day) and how large those packages are (this may range from
a few KB for simple packages up to 200 MB for packages like 'openoffice.org').

If the archive will be hosted on a different machine or if it will be
mirrored somewhere, then the binary packages created by the buildd
have to be uploaded and/or mirrored which would cause a lot of
outbound traffic.

Regards
Andreas Jochens