[Debian-ppc64-devel] Successful installation in an OpenPower 720 Express

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 14 14:20:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 04:06:25PM +0200, Harald Görl wrote:
> Hi Sven, *.
>
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 03:32:48PM +0200, Harald Görl wrote:
> >>2. A directory /ppc/chrp/ and a "yaboot" executable at the place which
> >>is given in bootinfo.txt. In this example in /ppc/chrp/. If you place
> >>the yaboot executable in another dir, that is fine but you MUST have
> >>this directory /ppc/chrp/ which could also be empty.
> >

> >Well, i guess you could call it whatever you want, provided you use that
> >name
> >in the bootinfo.txtx above ?
>
> Yes, i think that's correct.

Cool. you still need the /ppc/chrp dir in any case ?

> >>3. A directory for yaboot configuration, which is /etc/ with the yaboot
> >>config "yaboot.conf" in it, containing something like this:
> >>
> >>init-message = "\nWelcome to Debian/GNU Linux on OpenPower\nPress <TAB>
> >>Key for boot options.\n"
> >>timeout=600
> >>default=linux
> >>
> >>image=/vmlinux
> >>   label=linux
> >>   initrd=/initrd.gz
> >>   read-only
> >
> >That we have, no problem. It needs to go into /etc/yaboot.conf, not into
> >/install/yaboot.conf like it does right now ?
>
> The yaboot version i use is looking at /etc/, but i never tried /install...

I guess yaboot either knows where we where booted from (if the OF provides the
full path in chosen/bootpath), or uses /etc. The yaboot code i remember
defaulted on /etc for CHRP i think.

> >So we need to add the bootinfo.txt file, and have the boot-device there
> >point
> >to yaboot (probably <boot-script>boot
> >&device;:\install\yaboot</boot-script>
> >should be just fine, copy the /install/yaboot.conf to /etc too, just in
> >case,
> >and make sure we add the -U call to mkisofs.
>
> Yes, that would be fine i think.
>
> >Mmm, i indeed checked the debian-cd code, and -U is not in there. That
> >said,
> >-U is :
> >
> >       -U     Allows "Untranslated" filenames, completely violating the
> >	iso9660 standards described above. Forces on the -d, -l, -N,
> >	-allow-leading-dots, -relaxed-filenames, -allow-lowercase,
> >	-allow-multidot and -no-iso-translate flags. It allows more than one
> >	’.’ character in the filename, as well as mixed case filenames.
> >	This is useful on HP-UX system, where the built-in CDFS filesystem
> >	does not  recognize  ANY  extensions.  Use with extreme caution.
> >
> >Do we really need that ? And will it not break any other subarches we try
> >it
> >on ?
>
> No "really good" answer for that, sorry. The "-U" came from an old
> description from penguinppc.org, i think. I will try it without it...

Ok. I will not enable it for now, as -U sounds very dangerous, and the "Use
with extreme caution" is not so nice also. Please come back to me when you
have tried it without -U to confirm it is ok, or a solution needs to be found.

Friendly,

Sven Luther