[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: ppc64 archive bloating alioth disk ...

Andreas Jochens aj at andaco.de
Wed Sep 21 08:13:56 UTC 2005

On 05-Sep-21 09:37, Sven Luther wrote:
> > That is true. And I certainly have nothing against creating the
> > possibility of a biarch environment - as long this does not block
> > the development of a clean 64 bit environment.
>
> Please go ahead and ask for the inclusion of your stuff in the official debian
> archives then.

I will do that. But before I officially ask for the ppc64 port to be
included in 'unstable', I would like to have three things working:

1. A ppc64 base system which is sufficient for a buildd chroot and
   which has been built from the unpatched Debian sources

   This is almost ready. The only remaining packages from the buildd base
   system that currently need a small patch are 'pam' (BTS #328624),
   'util-linux' (#322130) and 'glibc' (#301438). The 'glibc' ppc64 patch
   has already been discussed with the glibc maintainer and I
   understand that it will likely be applied soon.

2. A linux-2.6 kernel which has been build from the unpatched sources

   This would be easy if you would accept a small patch for linux-2.6
   which allows the ppc64 port to use your powerpc/config.powerpc64
   configuration.

3. A debian-installer which has been used successfully to install
   Debian ppc64 unstable or etch on at least one box.

   I still have some problems with yaboot. I do not really know how
   much work will be necessary to make the installer work.

Regards
Andreas Jochens