[Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: ppc64 archive bloating alioth disk ...

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 23 11:14:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 11:37:33AM +0200, Andreas Jochens wrote:

> > > libz had a biarch infrastructure for i386/amd64 and I filed a patch
> > > to the BTS which extended this to powerpc/ppc64. That patch was
> > > accepted.
> >
> > I don't see any 64bit libraries in the libz or libncurses packages in sarge.
>
> You are right, the 'lib64z1' biarch binary package is currently only
> available on sparc and s390. For powerpc the lib64z1 binary can apparently
> be built only on a 64-bit machine with a 64-bit kernel, but not
> on an ordinary 32-bit powerpc machine. This seems to be the reason
> why 'lib64z1' was not enabled on powerpc. This is a general problem
> of the biarch approach - cross-compiling does not work generally.

Euh, this seems to me to be somewhat strange, i have no trouble building 64bit
kernels, so i really doubt tihs is the reason. Is it possible that it was not
possible to build it prior to the biarch toolchain being available ?

> The other direction, i.e. a 32-bit biarch lib32z1 on the native 64-bit
> port, is less difficult because all 64-bit ppc64 machines can also
> run 32 bit binaries. That part of my patch got applied so that the
> ppc64 now has the lib32z1 biarch package.

Oh well, if the package needs to run the binary in place for building, this is
i believe a breakage in such packages and needs to be fixed.

> The biarch approach generally requires that all biarch packages
> have to be built on 64-bit machines because the build process
> is not clean with respect to cross-compilation for many packages.

Nonsense, the packages are just broken.

Friendly,

Sven Lutther