[Debian-ppc64-devel] Searching for _ARCH_PPC64

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 28 09:19:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:03:59AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Jochens <aj at andaco.de>:

> > > The ppc64 patch for Emacs I submitted few months ago breaks the
> > > ppc32 port, I think. So, I'm trying to understand every bit of
> > > the patch which makes use of this symbol for ppc64 detection.
> > >
> > > I found this symbol in config/rs6000-c.c in gcc.
> >
> > The ppc64 patch does not seem to work for ppc64 either. The
>
> But you confirmed last time I sent the patch, didn't you?
> Did it use to work?

Notice that it is enough for the 32bit version to build, as there is really no
need for a 64bit emacs, and the 32bit version should run just fine on any
solution debian will consider for etch (either biarch or selectively built
multi-arch setup).

In any case, please don't break 32bit powerpc for things like this, as they
will definitively not be used in the etch timeframe, independently of any
number of bug reports Andreas send :)

No offense Andreas, but we can't afford fooling with pure-64 to break the
stuff that will actually ship in etch.

Friendly,

Sven Luther