[Debian-ppc64-devel] problems with debian ppc64 on openpower710

Harald Görl harald.goerl at rz.uni-augsburg.de
Fri Sep 30 08:33:25 UTC 2005

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 01:08:42PM +1200, Matthew Cocker wrote:
>
>>>Please forget about those two, and try out the real thing :
>>>
>>>http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/powerpc/current/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

>>The above CD does not boot so I have Submitted the report with the details
>
> Oh well, it should, i fixed it last week :/ Will look at it again.

Hi Sven, *.
i tested this cd also and find out the following for IBM OpenPower 720
(POWER5):

1. Standard ISO file doesn't work. That is already described in the bug
report #330636

2. The file "ppc/bootinfo.txt" has an not-ended "<chrp-boot>" section,
perhaps this is no problem, but it is not well-formed.

3. There are two "yaboot.conf" files there, in "/etc" and in "/install".
If i comment the line "device=cd:" out, the cd seems to boot with
"boot.msg" for me.

4. After that, the d-i seems to work.

I hope that can help you finding the correct yaboot settings...

Harald