[Debian-ppc64-devel] Installation Report

"Nölle, Christian" Noelle at wiwi.uni-wuppertal.de
Mon Feb 13 16:05:11 UTC 2006

Sven Luther wrote:

>> Comments/Problems:
>>
>> We had problems with creating filesystems. The installer fails to
>> create the prep-Partition properly, so we had to exit to shell,
>> chroot
>> into the target and create in manually with cfdisk.
>
> Can you give :
>
>   1) give me the exact scenario of this "failed to create a prep
>   partition" thingy.

Ok, here comes the thingy: The installer fires up the partitioning dialog
and suggest a certain layout with a partition #1, which should become prep,
but states it as:

#1 primary    8.2 MB B K Â

When selecting it, it states a prep partition with the boot flag on. You continue
and partman only lists an ext3 for / and a swap. We then returned to partman dialog and
selected it again, same as above. Interesting on that is, if you select the type in the
detailed view, it gives you the list of possible types with prep on top stating:

10 partman/method_long/prep doesn't exist

If you choose that entry, the installers ends up in an endless loop of a senseless dialog
with the very meaningful text ???- ???] and the two options "Go Back" and "Continue", which
both lead you back to the little meaningful dialog with two options....and so forth.. :)

After applying changes to disk and trying to install yaboot via the menu it states:

No hard disks were found which have an "Apple_Bootstrap" partition.
You must create an 819200-byte partition with type "Apple_Bootstrap".

This lead us to the cfdisk solution in the chroot, which worked.

>   2) give me the exact /proc/cpuinfo output ?

Sorry for that, my definition in the first mail was wrong. Here is the output:

processor       : 0
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1504.352000MHz
revision        : 2.2

processor       : 1
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1504.352000MHz
revision        : 2.2

processor       : 2
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1504.352000MHz
revision        : 2.2

processor       : 3
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1504.352000MHz
revision        : 2.2

processor       : 4
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1504.352000MHz
revision        : 2.2

processor       : 5
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1504.352000MHz
revision        : 2.2

processor       : 6
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1504.352000MHz
revision        : 2.2

processor       : 7
cpu             : POWER5 (gr)
clock           : 1504.352000MHz
revision        : 2.2

timebase        : 188044000
machine         : CHRP IBM,9124-720

>> As we have no video-card in that machine, we used the ssh-Feature of the
>> installer. As we finished the 1st stage, we were prompted with an
>> error message that network-console-config is not avaliable and we
>> have to continue without ssh in the 2nd stage *sigh*.
>
> Yeah, not nice.

You name it.

>> fgconsole: VT_GETSTATE Invalid Argument
>>
>> No input is possible, could not continue with the installation, as we
>> only have the serial console and not the ssh feature avaliable (see
>> above). Any hints!?
>
> Not entirely sure about this one, maybe waldi can comment ?

Ok.

> Well, i can help you solve the first issue, and then once this is
> done, we can tackle the second, how does this sound ?

Good for me :)

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Christian Nölle