[Debian-ppc64-devel] My iMac crashed when creating a ppc64 chroot

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 17 12:00:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 06:33:37PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:22:25AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote :
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:57:31AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > I hope it is the correct list for that kind of issuse.
> > >
> > > I wanted to create a chroot to test the building of somebody else's
> > > package, but my iMac (8,1) crashes while executing debootstrap.
> >
> > Why you don't run the normal debian/powerpc userland ? This is the official
> > supported way of doing this.
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build debian package for ROOT, an application for
> physical sciences[1]. The maintainer is about to upload it to debian. While
> trying to build it on the powerpc port, I realised that, when using a
> 64-bit kernel, the configure script was looking for a fully 64-bit
> environement. As a consequence, the package FTBFSes on 64-bit ppc
> machines (is it the case of the autobuilders ?). The maintainer is
> trying to fix this together with upstream.

ok, nice. but as said, debian/ppc64 is still 32bit userland in etch/sid. We
are working on a multi-arch setup, but Andreas pure-64 effort is something
fully separate.

> [1] http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/
>
> Anyway, this 32/64 bit problem prompted us to check wether the package
> builds on a 64-bit environnement, as it is the kind on software which
> could benefit of this (although it is a bit unclear). That is why I
> tried to build a 64-bit chroot on my G5 (is it the right way to do it?)

Ok. Not sure if this is the right way, the debian/sid has a biarch toolchain
and glibc, so it would have been more helpful to build the 64bit libs you need
with it, but inside a normal 32bit powerpc system. The libs will get installed
in /lib64 or something such, should be transparent to you, just add the -m64
flag to the compiler, and it will do the right thing.

I would be interested in a list of libraries you need to rebuild in this way,
as we are in need of building biarch or multi-arch versions of those.

> Of course, if you tell me that crashes are to be expected, then it
> probably does not make sense to try to build it, as it would anyway not
> be useful...

Well, i have never used the pure-64 thingy, as it is a bit counterproductive
in getting 64bit powerpc support in debian, and is an external thingy, but i
have seen it break various times in the past, and people complain here, so i
think suhc breakage are to be expected.

Friendly,

Sven Luther