[Debian-ppc64-devel] My iMac crashed when creating a ppc64 chroot

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 19 20:46:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 10:38:21PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:00:17PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote :
> >
> > Ok. Not sure if this is the right way, the debian/sid has a biarch toolchain
> > and glibc, so it would have been more helpful to build the 64bit libs you need
> > with it, but inside a normal 32bit powerpc system. The libs will get installed
> > in /lib64 or something such, should be transparent to you, just add the -m64
> > flag to the compiler, and it will do the right thing.
>
> Hi,
>
> sorbet【~】$ apt-cache search biarch
> sorbet【~】$
>
> Can you suggest some readings which could explain me the basics ? I know
> nothing about biarch...

google biarch powerpc ? the archive of this and the debian-powerpc mailiing
list ? the gcc-4.0 source package ?

Seriously, it is just a compiler which can produce both 32bit and 64bit
binaries, and associated glibc.

So, if you compile a binary with the -m64 option, it will be 64bit powerpc,
and if you compile it with -m32 it will be 32bit powerpc, the default going to
32bit. If you build a library, you have to build both, and the 64bit version
will install into lib64 variants (other schemes upcoming with the multi-arch
framework).

So, basically, you need to build the libraries needed for your app with the
-m64 option, and install them in ...lib64... (should happen automatically i
think), and then build your app with -m64, which should link it with those
lib64 libraries.

Some libraries, like zlib i think, are already built for both even.

Friendly,

Sven Luther