[Debian-ppc64-devel] issue with laptop-detect package

Thibaut VARENE varenet at debian.org
Mon May 28 13:56:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

Seems there's a problem with how laptop-detect is built on ppc64:

In Sid:

Reading package lists... Error!
E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
E: Error occurred while processing laptop-detect (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org_dists_sid_main_binary-ppc64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Taking a look at this file:

Package: laptop-detect
Version: 0.13
Section: utils
Architecture: all
Depends:
Installed-Size: 56
Maintainer: Thom May <thom at debian.org>

It's the empty Depends line that causes the mess.

laptop-detect control files contains:
Depends: ${dmidecode-depends}

Since, as far as I can tell, dmidecode doesn't exist on ppc64, I'm not
too surprised this is left blank, ending in the above problem.

Now I don't know if that's a problem in the package build tools that
should remove empty Depends: line...

HTH

T-Bone

--