[Debian-ppc64-devel] compiling and run with -m64

Robert Gries gries at pasemi.com
Thu Sep 13 10:38:39 UTC 2007

Is there a place to apt-get /usr/lib64 for powerpc64?
gries at debian:/proj/ext3/users/gries$ cc -m64 -o huffman huffman.c -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libm.so when searching for -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libm.a when searching for -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libm.so when searching for -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libm.a when searching for -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 02:12:19PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>/ On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 09:46:21PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote :
/>/ >
/>/ > So, if you compile a binary with the -m64 option, it will be 64bit powerpc,
/>/ > and if you compile it with -m32 it will be 32bit powerpc, the default going to
/>/ > 32bit. If you build a library, you have to build both, and the 64bit version
/>/ > will install into lib64 variants (other schemes upcoming with the multi-arch
/>/ > framework).
/>/
/>/ Hi
/>/
/>/ Well, in my question, I meant "is there a debian way ?". If I understand
/>/ correctly, if I want to compile a package for 64-bits, I will need the
/>/ 64-bit libraries in lib64. But how can I get them ? Is there something
/>/ like apt-get install --biarch=lib64 libfoo-dev ? Or do I have to apt-get
/>/ source and modify the makefile (in which case I will give up because
/>/ there are a lot of dependancies, and all this discussion is just for a
/>/ "let's try and see" attempt for a package which anyway builds OK on
/>/ non-G5 machines).
/
Sure, there are two debian ways for it, maybe even three if you are really
courageous :

  1) wait for us to package those 64bit version of the libs in a multiarch
  framework, which is planed for etch (hopefully, there is lot of work
  involved, but etch will not be delayed for that so ...).

  2) rebuild locally the packages you need with lib64 support, zlib does this,
  so you can start from there :

     lib64z1 - compression library - 64 bit runtime
     lib64z1-dev - compression library - 64 bit development

  alternatively, post here a list of libs you are needing, so that they can be
  64bit-ized. Maybe fill bug reports against them asking for their
  64bit-ization for powerpc, better even if they include patches.

  3) help us out to do the multi-arch thingy.

Quick note about multi-arch here, there are two philosophies, basically, the
first says we build *64 version of the packages, like libz, for the same arch
(powerpc), while the other one say we build the same packages for two arches
(powerpc and powerpc64), where one of those (powerpc64) can install both. The
advantage for this later one is for packages that run test or need to run
themsevles, since they will then fail to build on 32bit powerpc. Not sure what
aboth means for the ability to build 64bit packages on 32bit machines though.

There is another discussion about where to put the binaries, in /lib and
/lib64, or in /lib/powerpc and /lib/powerpc64, but i believe it is not worth
thiking about theat in the etch timeframe for powerpc, x86/amd64 is another
issue.

Friendly,

Sven Luther