[Debian-roadmap] Roadmap -- kick-off

Борислав Събев borislavsabev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:54:48 UTC 2017

Hello, all.

Herewith my comments. I am new to the internal of Debian DDs so please bare
with me on some of my maybe silly questions.

1. Methodology (of RMTM management):
  I am not sure if we should strictly adhere to any management methodology.
My problem is not the methodology of choice but rather the task(s) at hand.
We will be dealing with the communication to/from multiple remote teams and
developers and we will have to manage our own work on that.
And on top we will have to coordinate all those people's efforts. I don't
think this fits fully into any agile (or not) methodology. In my opinion
people will just have to take ownership of the goals and look to it that
they're moving forward. Sure we can use elements from different
methodologies (i.e. Kanban boards) but I don't think we will be able to use
any single methodology fully.
  Also, having in mind the nature of open source projects and the long-term
goals of the road-map team there cannot be any strict planning. I don't
believe we need such planning however I am mentioning this.
  Anyhow reaching a set goal in our case will require multiple small (or
sub-) tasks for the coordination of everybody's efforts. Managing all this
in our day-to-day work demands some tool. As I am not closely familiar with
the available Debian infrastructure can someone state tools are available
to us?

2. Ownership of goals:
 I do agree there should be strong ownership of the goals.  Advocates
should see to it that the goals are moving along and kept. @*martin f
krafft *you have a good point there about the transfer of ownership
procedure. The Roadmap team should be able to reassign ownership so that a
goal is finished.
  The procedure of transferring a goal to a new advocate should also
involve all the documentation of the item (tasks, what was done, what is to
be done, etc.). This is another reason to have a centralized place to store
all this information. If an advocate goes MIA with all the related
information a goal can quickly become not manageable.
  What about goals that have no current advocates? Shall we keep a list of
such goals maybe motivating people to pick goals from it.

3. Technical ctte partisipation
   How will we know the borders of the decisions that the roadmap team can
take?
Will the Roadmap team be able to add items to the roadmap without any
participation of the ctte? I don't think this is possible. I just want to
ask who will take the decision to add a specific item to the roadmap or not?

4. Item conversion to a release goal
If a roadmap item becomes a release goal does it fall outside of the
jurisdiction of the roadmap team?

5. DEP process
  This is more of a question from me. Can you point me to the documentation
of the "DEP process"?

--

*  Best,Borislav Sabev*