[x86-64] Opteron box coming --- what to install?

marc.miller@amd.com marc.miller@amd.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 16:16:17 -0700

Oh, I should note, however, that AMD does not officially recommend putting a 64-bit kernel in a 32-bit distribution... you'll still be missing some key 64-bit libraries, and without all of the other supporting packages, the machine may operate oddly with mixed-bitness drivers, kernel, and libraries.

AMD expects a lot of users will start off by loading their 32-bit operating systems and apps onto their shiny new Opteron box, and when things like (in your case) Debian for AMD64 is available, they'll upgrade the operating system.  If you want to take advantage of Opteron's 64-bit capabilities today in a production environment, a vendor-supported OS like SuSE Linux Enterprise Server, Mandrake Corporate Server, or Turbolinux is the better choice for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miller, Marc
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 4:07 PM
To: bart@jukie.net; shurik@math.unibas.ch
Cc: debian-x86-64-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: RE: [x86-64] Opteron box coming --- what to install?

Bart, thanks for responding here.  I agree; SuSE is the more stable way to go.  It's worthy of note that SuSE is not the only AMD64 Linux distribution out there.  Turbolinux 8 has been available since April, and is relatively inexpensive.  Mandrake Linux Corporate Server is also available.  There are also a couple of unsupported technology previews from various vendors available for free download.

Putting a 64-bit kernel into a 32-bit distribution is also a great suggestion.  After all, Opteron is a superior 32-bit processor to anything before it, you'll be able to use all of the 32-bit packages you have today, and when you have AMD64 applications to run, you'll be poised to take advantage of the platform's 64-bit capabilities.