[x86-64] Opteron box coming --- what to install?

Alexander Shumakovitch shurik@math.unibas.ch
Sat, 17 May 2003 01:15:39 +0200

Thanks a lot for your reply!

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 12:51:24AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> The packages on my page are not meant for an installation from scratch,
> the idea is to install a regular i386 debian system and upgrade the
> relevant packages to their biarch 64bit + 32bit versions.
I have another question then ;-) I've got an impression from a long
thread on debian-devel that in order to run both 32- and 64-bit programs
simultaneously one needs to have two versions of every library they use
(thus creation of .../lib64 etc.). On the other hand, your "biarch"
packages include one copy of every library only, which replace the
original one and don't look much bigger. Why does it work then? Should
both kinds of binaries link with the same libraries?

> It should be possible to run a 32 bit Debian inside a chroot environment
> on a 64 bit SuSE system and you can still use the 64 bit Debian tool
> chain there for your own programs. At the point where the amd64 Debian
> port is advanced enough for you, you can simply make your debian
> partition the main one.
OK, I'll try this approach.

Thanks,

  --- Alexander.