[x86-64] AMD Dev Center usage proposal

Bart Trojanowski bart@jukie.net
Thu, 22 May 2003 22:07:38 -0400

--W/1XGRQlv2BMqnS3

AMD requires a formal description on how we wish to use the machine they
are graciously providing for our valiant efforts.

We had a short debate over what this is to include and from what I can
gather it included the following:

1) starting point (what we will require to start)
  - dual boot system running SuSE 64-bit and Debian/Sid 32-bit
  - serial console access from another box/terminal server/etc.
  - ssh access to the box itself

2) testing 32-bit user-space with 64-bit kernel
  - on the Debian/Sid partition we will run the SuSE binary kernel (to star=
t)
  - we should be able to run simple programs

3) running 64-bit tool-chain
  - we will install Arnd's biarch compiler and libraries
  - we should be able to compile and run simple C programs

4) ability to build a 64-bit kernel natively
  - Arnd has done some progress here, but last I heard the work was not
    yet completely finished
  - I would like to support two streams of kernel packages 2.4 and 2.5
  - we should be able to build, install, and boot a 2.4.20+ kernel.
  - we should be able to build, install, and boot a recent 2.5.* kernel.

5) port init script tools
  - ability to get to a prompt with only 64-bit binaries
  - sysvinit, util-linux, sh, grep, etc.

6) port remainder of the 'base' packages
  - this will be the majority of the effort (IIRC 50+ packages)

7) TBD...

8) install CD...

OK, as you can see I have some idea as to what to do upto 5.  After that
it's a bit sketchy.  I wold like to get some input so we can have this
proposal ready ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Bart.

--=20