[x86-64] AMD Dev Center usage proposal - draft 2

Bart Trojanowski bart@jukie.net
Fri, 23 May 2003 18:03:10 -0400

--Sw7tCqrGA+HQ0/zt

I will try to summarize our progress as we go along...

I hope I've captured your comments accordingly.

1) starting point (what we will require to start)
  - dual boot system running SuSE 64-bit and Debian/Sid 32-bit
  - serial console access from another box/terminal server/etc.
  - a remote-access power switch to the system
  - ssh access to the box itself

2) decide on a port name
  - amd64 was suggested (I agree personally)
  - decide on the .deb naming to distinguish amd64/i386/biarch
  - who should have the final say?

2) testing 32-bit user-space with 64-bit kernel
  - on the Debian/Sid partition we will run the SuSE binary kernel (to star=
t)
  - we should be able to run simple programs

3) running 64-bit tool-chain
  - we will install Arnd's biarch compiler and libraries
  - we should be able to compile and run simple C programs

4) ability to build a 2.4.20+ 64-bit kernel natively
  - Arnd has done some progress here, but last I heard the work was not
    yet completely finished
  - we should be able to build, install, and boot a 2.4.20+ kernel.

5) port all base libraries
  - /lib64 migration for 64 bit libraries
  - we should be able to compile and run simple C programs against these
  - what are they?  how many?

6) port packages required by autobuilder
  - what are they? how many?

7) port/setup autobuilder
  - once running certain packages may need to be tweaked=20

8) port remaining base packages
  - what are they? how many?

[ and later ]

* Hack dpkg to understand the new architecture.

* Make the ftp people create the new architecture in the archive.

* ability to build a 2.5.x 64-bit kernel natively
  - we should be able to build, install, and boot a recent 2.5.* kernel.

* testing?

* install CD...

Again, comments are welcome and encouraged.

--=20
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/

--Sw7tCqrGA+HQ0/zt

--Sw7tCqrGA+HQ0/zt--