[xml/sgml] Some packaging best practices ideas

Ardo van Rangelrooij debian-xml-sgml-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:47:30 -0600

Hello Mark,

A couple of comments:

 - It's the current best practive to put the DH_COMPAT value in debian/compat.
 - It's preferred to comment out DH_VERBOSE
 - 'dh_installdirs' is used twice
 - 'dh_shlibdeps' for a package with only text files ???  interesting
 - Why do you have a 'configure' target?  Unless you're going here for the general
   case I would suggest to remove what you don't need.
 - Why don't you upgrade to debhelper v4?  For dh_installcatalogs you even need
   'debhelper (>= 4.1.75)' (see my sgml-base web page).

And from the nitpicking department: look at one of my rules files for a perfect
aligned layout (yes, I'm that picky).  Even the order of the make targets has
been put into thought.  And yes, the order of the .PHONY dependends matches the
order of the make targets.  But that's just me. :-)

Thanks,
Ardo