[xml/sgml] xerces packages: packages ready for real this time!

Jay Berkenbilt ejb@ql.org
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:59:52 -0400

My xerces packages are once again ready on my personal website.  These
are the versions that have been in subversion for the last almost two
weeks.  My earlier message that included the wget commands has all the
required details.  Synopsis repeated here:

----

gpg --recv-key D688E0A7
wget http://q.ql.org/xerces-alioth.tar
wget http://q.ql.org/xerces-alioth.tar.asc
gpg --verify xerces-alioth.tar.asc
tar xvf xerces-alioth.tar
cd xerces-alioth
for i in *.changes; do debsign $i; done

trust or rebuild by binary .deb files as needed
upload packages

----

linda warns that the -dev packages should be Architecture: all, but
it's wrong: the -dev packages contain config.status.  Earlier I
thought it was right and rebuilt.  Then I realized it was wrong and
reverted.  Interestingly, if I rebuild this with Architecture: all,
linda complains about files in /usr/lib in an Architecture: all
package.  The dangling libxerces-c.so link isn't really
architecture-dependent since it points to something in the runtime
file, but it has to go in /usr/lib.  I've reported this collection of
issues as a bug against linda.

lintian gives no errors or warnings.

It is true that most of the size -dev package is accounted for by the
header files, but I'm not sure that it's worth splitting the -dev
package in two for 800K of headers.  There's obviously some point at
which it makes sense to split packages between dependent and
independent data, but I'm not sure where the cutoff is.  The
developer's reference says "considerable" but doesn't define this
further.  Anyway, I'm not sure what the packages would be called since
-dev is pretty standard.  Either way, I don't think this should stop
us from uploading these packages in their present form.

Thanks again.

--Jay