[xml/sgml] docbook2X new version

Steve Cheng stevecheng@users.sourceforge.net
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:57:20 -0400

Hello, I am the author of docbook2X; Rafael Laboissiere has just suggested
that I forward this message here:

===

I just made a new release of docbook2X (0.8.4).

Change log:

* There is now an _experimental_ implementation of 'db2x_manxml' and
  'db2x_texixml' using pure XSLT, for those who can't use the Perl
  one for whatever reason.  See the 'xslt/backend/' directory.  Do
  not expect this to work completely yet.  In particular, tables are
  not yet available in man pages.  (They are, of course, still
  available in the Perl implementation.)

* Texinfo conversion does not require XSLT extensions anymore!  See
  Design notes: the elimination of XSLT extensions for the full story.

  As a consequence, 'db2x_xsltproc' has been rewritten to be a Perl
  wrapper script around the stock xsltproc(1)

* 'db2x_xsltproc''s '-S' no longer uses libxml's "SGML DocBook"
  parser, but now calls sgml2xml(1).  The corresponding long option
  has been renamed to '--sgml' from '--sgml-docbook'.

* Fixed a heap of bugs -- that caused invalid output -- in the XSLT
  stylesheets, 'db2x_manxml' and 'db2x_texixml'.

  Some features such as 'cmdsynopsis' and 'funcsynopsis' are
  rendered more nicely.

* Man-XML and Texi-XML now have DTDs -- these are useful when
  writing and debugging stylesheets.

* Added a '--plaintext' option to 'db2x_texixml'

* Updates to the docbook2X manual.  Stylesheet documentation is in.

===

Some notes/suggestions for packaging:

1. It doesn't require compiling libxslt extensions anymore. Stock xsltproc
works. On the other hand, if my experience is any indication, you'll probably
have trouble integrating the Java-based XSLT processors (they are offered as
an alternative to xsltproc).

2. In the example man page for ttcn-el by W. Borgert, instead of doing the awk
hacks to add the Texinfo directory information, I have added two new XSLT
parameters: directory-category and directory-description which should do what
he wants. (It was actually possible without an awk hack even before, but the
method was not well-documented.) See the docbook2texi-xslt Info file for
details.

3. You might want to consider including the documentation sources as an
example too of XSLT customization, although I fear that the sources may be
too large.

4. I have added a comment in the docbook2X man page to disambiguate docbook2X
from docbook-utils. But you still need to patch the man page if you want the
docbook2x-{man,texi} renaming.

5. I've just discovered a bug in the generated Texinfo files dealing with
directory entries. Please also apply the patch that is on the Web site.

Thanks,
--
Steve Cheng
鄭君博