[xml/sgml] Conflict between docbook-utils and docbook2x packages

Ardo van Rangelrooij ardo@debian.org
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:32:33 -0500

Rafael Laboissiere (rafael@debian.org) wrote:
> docbook2x and docbook-utils both provide programs called docbook2man and
> docbook2texi.  Currently, the conflict is avoided by the docbook2x package,
> which renames the commands to docbook2x-man and docbook2x-texi (although the
> manpages still refer to the old names).
>
> The upstream author of docbook2X, Steve Cheng, suggested to me that the
> docbook2x package should be given priority over docbook-utils as regards the
> naming of the programs.  The reason is simple: the docbook2man and
> docbook2texi commands in docbook-utils are based on old forks from
> docbook2X.  The docbook2X programs are indeed superior to those from
> docbook-utils.
>
> I would suggest to simply drop the docbook2man and docbook2texi commands
> from docbook-utils.  What do you think?

This is also what I brought up in an earlier message on this list.  This is one
of the many issues with docbook-utils.

If we want to go down this path we either have docbook-utils be depending on
docbook2x to prevent breaking the packages that currently rely on dcobook-utils
for these tools, or we have to have those package be (build) dependent directly
on docbook2x.  Also, we should comparing the output of both.  If there are any
differences we should people make aware of them, otherwise we'll be flooded by
bug reports about this.

Another approach is to break up docbook-utils into one-tool-packages with some
common base package (and a meta package) with appropriate conflicts or maybe
even diversions.

Bottom line: I'm definitely in favour of giving our users the best tool there
is for the job.  If that means in this case that docbook-utils has to "suffer"
so be it.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij                                     Debian XML/SGML Group
<ardo@debian.org>              <debian-xml-sgml-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>