[xml/sgml] Conflict between docbook-utils and docbook2x packages

Steve Cheng elmert@ipoline.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:59:35 -0400

On July 26, 2004 10:04 pm, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> I am afraid the problem is more complicated than just comparing the
> outputs. I think that the docbook2X suite currently only accepts XML inputs
> (Steve, please correct me if I am wrong).

True, and I've thought of a way to fix it: have an --sgml option that runs

sgml2xml -xlower document.sgml  | sed -f sgml2xml.sed

where sgml2xml.sed adds the appropriate XML doctype (for the ISO entities).
The document might fail to validate with the DTD that is picked in
sgml2xml.sed but this doesn't matter for stylesheets.
It involves a conversion, but I think, nowadays, it is a bit
unreasonable to expect that every {SG,X}ML tool must work with both SGML and
XML "natively".

I'll add this option to the next release of docbook2X. Anything else?

> OTOH, the docbook-utils
> utilities accept SGML.

(and not XML.)

> OTOH, the docbook-utils
> utilities accept SGML.  Also, the invocations may differ, the options
> accepted may differ.

Unfortunately I can't help you there (and requiring --sgml already breaks it).

--
Steve Cheng
鄭君博